Welcome to our new home. Well, it's our first home, so I guess not really our new home.
Whatever, you get it.
Why am I building a home here, in this space?
First, let's start with you I am.
This is me. Michelle.
That's me on a winter adventure in Finland - somewhere around the actual North Pole. As much as I love Canada, Finland has some of the most mysterious and enticing woodland areas I've ever experienced.
This trip reminded me of what it was like to be a kid. To just wander and explore. Something we kind of lose with the day to day goings on of adulthood. Since then I've been trying to incorporate that kind of whimsy into my daily life.
I've pretty much worked my whole adult life as a Graphic Designer and I love my work. After enough years though I wanted to do something of my own. So I started a stationery company - some of you might have been following me since those thunderpeep days - happy you're here on my new journey!
Having my own company was awesome. For a while. One day I realized I just wasn't happy with what I was doing, I needed it to be more. To mean more. To have an impact. So I stopped. People were shocked - but I've never been one to worry about others thoughts on my life. So I put thunderpeep on hold and took time to get back to myself. I published a couple of books. I found my voice. I found my passion. I found my way back to the woods.
So, in case you might not know this - I'm a 100% tree hugging, animal loving, mountain hiking environmentalist. I really try not to be one of those overly preachy, in your face, why don't you care about the planet, stop your wasteful ways types. I've always tried to be more of a follow by example kind of friend of the planet. But yes, I will always have a fairly loud voice when it comes to issues that revolved around the environment ;)
These days people are being inundated with all these doomsday articles and movies telling you to do this to save the planet, don't do that because it harms the planet, you start to feel like you can't do anything right. Of course, people are going to become overwhelmed and eventually dismissive of environmental issues. They've forgotten what the fight is actually for. We've become detached from the source of life and adventure and magic that is the natural world. We're nothing without all the good stuff Mother Natures provides us. It's more about politics these days, than it is about passion.
So, now why this new space?
When it was time to really start thinking about how I wanted to proceed with my business, the ideas evolved over a 6 month period. One idea snowballed into another into another. Sometimes being creative is hard on your decision-making abilities! But then one idea started to really resonate with where I was in my life. The idea of building a podcast out of all the crazy stories I come up with, to try to inspire people back out into nature, to remember why we need to protect it. I've always loved the art of storytelling, so this crazy new podcast medium was just what I was looking for. I took this great class with CampTech and here we are 6 months later. A new company that just wants to promote a movement back towards a greater appreciation for the natural world. I'm not completely leaving thunderpeep in the dust because she's been such a big part of my life, I can't just cut her out now. The thunderpeep shop will still exist with all the fun things we'll be designing, to share in our nature-loving ways!
We need to look to the basics to really have an impact and in a small way that's what I'm hoping to do here, in this space. Take us all back to those magical moments from our childhood. When we would just be open to wandering and not afraid to get lost in the woods. To explore and find joy in the little things. You don't have to go on bit epic adventures but hopefully, these stories will help you want to get back out into the wild open spaces and lose yourself - or get lost with your tribe. Even if it's for a few moments. Guaranteed those few moments will lead to longer moments...
10 things you should know before you embark on this journey with me..
1. I love anything to do with Trolls. Not the mean, internet bullies, but the odd creatures that tend to live mostly in Scandinavian folklore - but are totally real
2. I love all kinds of urban legend creatures, folklore - the stranger the better
3. I live in a big city (for the moment) and pretty much hate it. I need lot's of trees to get lost in and mountains to wander and oceans to float over
4. My friend Steph got me addicted to tea. Like pretty much all kinds of tea. I drink it excessively now. Except for Matcha - because it just makes me go a bit bonkers
5. I'm now in my 40s and when my hair started losing its colour (ie: the white hairs started growing in) I decided to go from a nice brunette to a much more in your face platinum blonde (except for those times I get to add in all the fun colours like peaches and pinks) And I'm loving it!
6. I love books. I love reading books from the library but I can't resist buying really well-designed books. I have tons that I have no intention of reading they are just purely eye candy on my shelves. Sometimes I just pull them down and just look at them.
7. My day job is still as a Graphic Designer. I mostly work in small business branding (if you want to work with me you can get in touch through my contact page) but my background and real passion was always publication design - these days I just design my own books now ;)
8. One day I'd love to be part of a whale researching trip. A really long one, just being out in the ocean with the whale sounds and waves lapping against the boat.
9. My spirit animals are Moose and Narwhals
10. I strongly believe in having a voice and standing up for what you believe in. I would gladly throw myself in front of anyone or anything to save nature from the evil clutches of humans